I am writing my essay.
In two word increments (better than nothing, I know).
So far I have worked in an actual quote from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, a reference to The Little Prince, and a quote from a horrible German song from the 80’s (“Völlig losgelöst von der Erde schwebt [das Raumschiff]”)
I’m writing a poetry comparison.
Let’s see if I can manage to work in “when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" :D
Adrianne Haslet-Davis dances again for the first time since the Boston terrorist attack last year.
When the bombs went off at the Boston Marathon finish line, Adrianne Haslet-Davis lost the lower half of her left leg in the explosion. She’s a ballroom dance teacher, and she assumed she would never dance again. With most prosthetics, she wouldn’t.
But Hugh Herr, of the MIT Media Lab, wanted to find a way to help her. He created a bionic limb specifically for dancers, studying the way they move and adapting the limb to fit their motion. (He explains how he did it here.)
At TED2014, Adrianne danced for the first time since the attack, wearing the bionic limb that Hugh created for her.
Hugh says, “It was 3.5 seconds between the bomb blasts in the Boston terrorist attack. In 3.5 seconds, the criminals and cowards took Adrianne off the dance floor. In 200 days, we put her back. We will not be intimidated, brought down, diminished, conquered or stopped by acts of violence.”
Amen to that, Hugh.
1. When you cut yourself, clean and bandage it.
2. Do not start smoking cigarettes because the boy who broke your heart does.
3. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
4. Cutting calories doesn’t do anything but make you unhappy.
5. If the number on the scale rises, throw it out.
6. The first girl you ever “date” is going to call the police on you even though she lives three thousand miles away, because you’re going to tell her that you’re not in a good mental state shortly after you’ve “broken up”.
7. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
8. Break up with the boy who says, “You had a sexy phase!” when you tell him that you’ve dated a girl before.
9. Dating your friends is not always the best idea, but you can still be friends after you’ve broken up with her.
10. Your mother will try to become your best friend because you’re leaving for college soon. Let her.
11. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
12. Your closest friend will stop talking to you when you leave for college.
13. It’s okay to cry.
14. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
15. When you cut yourself again, clean and bandage it. Do not be ashamed.
16. Your anxiety is going to try and control your entire life. Tell it to shut the hell up, because you’re trying to live and that task is hard enough as it is.
17. The past has a funny way of coming back in the form of you developing a crush on another friend.
18. Try not to hate yourself for breaking up with your boyfriend.
19. If you’re still smoking, apologize silently to your mother.
20. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
He went from Andrew Scott to Moriarty in .5 seconds.
YOU CAN PHYSICALLY SEE HIS EYES LIGHT UP WITH THE CRAZY
He sooo deserved that BAFTA!
Truer words have never been spoken.
A shaky Eddie Lack speaking about Roberto Luongo after the loss to Ottawa in the Heritage Classic: “I mean I felt like we had great communication through all of this, and he’s been supporting me when I play like, all year and I’ve been supporting him when he’s playing- and it wasn’t an exception today.”
Steve crying after Bucky fell
What I love about this, is that this isn’t Hollywood crying (TM). This isn’t the single perfect manly tear of the hero, or the over the top Noooooooooo!!!!
This is real, ugly, in public and still can’t stop, tears down the nose, can’t breathe properly, awful crying.
And I love that we get Captain America doing it. Anyone who thinks Chris Evans doesn’t do an amazing job of portraying this incredibly human superhero, or Steve Rogers is a boring character in these films isn’t paying enough attention.
I would just like to share this photo with you because look at the way Saad is smiling at Bollig. That is all.
So I’m in Kelowna now, and the resident team is in the playoffs (yay! Western Conference Final!), and I think… I saw one of the players on the bus today.
I mean, I know one’s living close to where my host family lives, and I think it was one of the Rockets’ on the bus today :D
That was cool :)
Cooler than realizing the girl talking to the other girl (who was loudly telling her—in German, but oh well, she probably didn’t realize that we spoke it too—how much she missed smoking up -_-) was the new host girl…
But oh well, I’ll meet her tomorrow proper :D
Jonathan Toews skates off the ice as blood drips down his face after a big hit against the Blues. — Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune, April 17, 2014 [x]
April 17, 2014: A Kane-Toews combo gives the Blackhawks a 3-2 lead (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧